This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to our use of cookies. To find out more, see our Privacy and Cookies policy.
Skip to the content

Share this

Free weekly newswire

Sign up to receive all our latest news direct to your inbox.

Physics on film

100 Second Science Your scientific questions answered simply by specialists in less than 100 seconds.

Watch now

Bright Recruits

At all stages of your career – whether you're an undergraduate, graduate, researcher or industry professional – brightrecruits.com can help find the job for you.

Find your perfect job

Physics connect

Are you looking for a supplier? Physics Connect lists thousands of scientific companies, businesses, non-profit organizations, institutions and experts worldwide.

Start your search today

Blog

What is the most significant experimental discovery in particle physics?

By James Dacey

So the excited researchers at CERN have finally found the Higgs boson, or at least a particle that resembles the Higgs. With these scientists now preparing for a blitzkrieg of further analysis, it may turn out that their Higgs possesses properties that cannot be explained by the Standard Model of particle physics alone. But, as the CERN director-general said during a press conference yesterday, “I think we have it.”

Yesterday was a truly great day for science. But just how significant is this discovery in the history of particle physics? Let us know your thoughts by answering this week’s Facebook poll question.

What is the most significant experimental discovery in particle physics?

hands smll.jpg

The electron
The atomic nucleus
The neutron
Antimatter
Neutrinos
Quarks
The Higgs boson

Let us know by taking part in the poll. And of course, as this list does not cover all the discoveries in particle physics, feel free to make a case for a something else.

In last week’s poll we encouraged you to join us in speculating whether CERN was about to announce the discovery of the Higgs boson. The signs were there that the LHC data had thrown up something large – journalists were invited from around the world to attend a special seminar in Geneva on the eve of this year’s major particle-physics conference in Australia.

59% of respondents had put two and two together and predicted that CERN officials would be revealing the discovery of the Higgs boson. The remaining 41% thought that they would not be making this announcement, perhaps assuming that we would have to wait longer or that the scientists would declaring that the particle does not exist after all.

Thanks to everyone for taking part and we look forward to hearing from you in this week’s poll.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.
View all posts by this author  | View this author's profile

Leave a comment

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Guidelines

  • Comments should be relevant to the article and not be used to promote your own work, products or services.
  • Please keep your comments brief (we recommend a maximum of 250 words).
  • We reserve the right to remove excessively long, inappropriate or offensive entries.

Show/hide formatting guidelines

Tag Description Example Output
<a> Hyperlink <a href="http://www.google.com">google</a> google
<abbr> Abbreviation <abbr title="World Health Organisation" >WHO</abbr> WHO
<acronym> Acronym <acronym title="as soon as possible">ASAP</acronym> ASAP
<b> Bold <b>Some text</b> Some text
<blockquote> Quoted from another source <blockquote cite="http://iop.org/">IOP</blockquote>
IOP
<cite> Cite <cite>Diagram 1</cite> Diagram 1
<del> Deleted text From this line<del datetime="2012-12-17"> this text was deleted</del> From this line this text was deleted
<em> Emphasized text In this line<em> this text was emphasised</em> In this line this text was emphasised
<i> Italic <i>Some text</i> Some text
<q> Quotation WWF goal is to build a future <q cite="http://www.worldwildlife.org/who/index.html">
where people live in harmony with nature and animals</q>
WWF goal is to build a future
where people live in harmony with nature and animals
<strike> Strike text <strike>Some text</strike> Some text
<strong> Stronger emphasis of text <strong>Some text</strong> Some text
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux